JumpList vs LongList?

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:23 PM

At the very beginning, I want to thank you for a great set of controls, especially the JumpList - which saved me a lot of time few months ago.

Out of pure curiosity, I've recently browser through a "Silvelight toolkit for Microsoft Phone", I think is hosted on CodePlex too, and they have a very looking-alike control called "LongList" which also features "index tiles". Is your project somehow related to that? Maybe it was incorporated/renamed etc?

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Hello, and thanks for your feedback.

Bewise Phone Controls is not related with the Silverlight toolkit. Our JumpList and the LongList are two different Silverlight implementations of the native Windows Phone jumplist.

Just try both of them and use the one you prefer ;)

Coordinator
Apr 20, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Hello,

I will add a few thigs :

• The way you use the (bewise) JumpList and the (sl toolkit) longlistselector is different. We take care of everything, we just need a list of items with a "correct" ToString() override. You have to develop more things in order to use the LongListSelector, but you have more control,
  • We are already supporting non alphanumerical items titles (like chinese caracters),
  • We were the first :)

It can be cool if you can share with us your usage of the JumpList, from a developer point of view, and maybe withth some context (are you willing to talk to us abour the app where you have used the JumpList for example ?)

Chris

Apr 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I'm afraid I cannot present any code directly, but I remember that I had to do some tweaks to it.. I don't remember now, as it was ~3months ago, but I'll check it, maybe I will manage to dig out the interesting bits